Skip to main content

Howard Street Antiques Row of Baltimore

Howard Street in Baltimore at one time was known as one of the mid-Atlantic's hottest antiques markets. I went out today to survey the scene. It was a place where women wore white gloves in the streets. As the dealers there tell it today, there was the installation of the rail line in the street in 1992 that really hit them hard, and it never truly recovered. At that time, nearly 42 dealers led a bustling trade that spilled out onto the sidewalks. Today there are 7 or 8 active dealers. As I passed by the Imperial Half Bushel was packing things up for good at 831 N. Howard. It was a storied antiques store with a penchant for local Baltimore silver and many other items. They rebuffed me when I tried to enter the shop. Baltimore has things in common with Philadelphia and New Orleans. Economically polarized and not much leadership from politicians, a failing educational system, a flagging tax base. This has been much commented on by Washington area antiques dealers, who grow a bit misty eyed speaking of Howard St. Still, perhaps there is a beacon of hope or two yet on Howard Street. The City of Baltimore should be finding ways to bring back a new class of merchants to Howard Street. Baltimore is a place steeped in history. Its antiques business deserve the chance to shine.

Studio at 859
Beautiful Light in Studio at 859
Angela at Studio 859
Angela is a new kind of antiques dealer. She's fun, welcoming, down-to-earth. Her shop is eclectic and the collection she curates and sells reflects the changing eyes of today's buyers. Large scale colorful paintings and mid-century modern fiberglass chairs against an exposed brick wall, gorgeous hardwood floors, and light streaming in from a bright and clean storefront window. Angela is a delight to talk to and I lucked into a conversation with her and her husband. They are among the nicest dealers I've met in a while. They offered me a seat and shared about the history of Howard Street and quickly opened up. It felt like talking to family. Like you'd made friends from strangers. If you hit no other antiques shop in Baltimore, put Studio at 859 on your list of must visits. This shop is open Saturdays 12-4 and weekdays by chance or appointment. Call ahead. 410.925.8286. This is the future of the Baltimore antiques scene. The street needs about ten or twenty more dealers just like Studio at 859.

Dubey's Art & Antiques
Wood Buddha at Dubey's
Mid-Century Room at Dubey's













Dubey's is a well-established shop and the most robust shop that I saw in terms of inventory. They were in the midst of moving from one building to a neighboring one this May in 2019. I have to say, things weren't looking their best, but despite that, there were many very very nice items shining through and the new building is large (3 storeys) and cheerfully painted. They seem to be open most days 11-5 except Tuesdays. Standout items included a good collection of Qing Dynasty rank badges, a very interesting large ivory pulley / pull of some sort, a colonial era English sterling silver balluster form cann, and a surprisingly well-done mid-century room. A large weathered wood buddha was simply superb. Overall, they seem at their best with Chinese and some of those items are best in class. Very friendly and offered to help, but largely left me to my own devices. Loved the shop and I urge you to visit!

NYC made slag glass lamp at $1600
There was Earl Weber's shop at 867 N. Howard. Mr. Weber was there to let me in and showed me some of his terrific lamps. Of note were his fabulous slag glass and bronze lamps. I spotted a to-die-for bronze Tiffany lamp base and several green glass lamps from a Brooklyn maker who Mr. Weber explained had been a protege of Tiffany. These lamps were absolutely stunning and seemed to be very competitively priced.

The last shop I visited was E.A. Mack. It's been rare that I've been made to feel less welcome than by Mr. Mack. Go get lunch instead.

I didn't find any treasures on Howard St, but I have found some wonderful things at www.nateivey.com.
Typical Street Scenes in Baltimore (2019)

A Neighborhood Residence
Closed shop on Howard






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Out Estate and Found a Silver Collection.. What Should I Do?

A typical silver collection. It happens all the time. Mom and Dad pass away and you never asked all the questions you should have about the silver and other antiques in the house. What can you do? What should you do? People around the world are faced with these questions every single day. Before you take those items to a charity shop, there are some things you should and should not do. Lots of places are happy to look at your silver and there are pros and cons to each. Clean-out companies : Many of these companies are predatory, charging families hundreds to haul away their junk-- as well as their priceless antiques and silver. I always think this is the worst option, but sometimes when all the family is far away, this may be the best option. Just know, if they spot a gold coin collection or a midcentury Rolex in the mix, it's gone baby gone. And it would have paid for your plane ticket around the world to be more responsible. Appraisers : Appraisers are useful, but you

The Power of Silver Hallmarks

Hallmarks can be extremely powerful and important in silver.  They tell the story of many pieces of silver that is absent on most other kinds of antiques.  For the furniture enthusiast, there are sometimes paper labels or pencil mark signatures, but these are rare.  For silver, the marks are often there, and when they are, you need to pay heed.  The absence of a hallmark can also be significant but we'll get into that later.  In this little article, I want to describe the non-US hallmarks that have been the most important to me in my business dealings.  The photos are pieces I have bought and/or sold some of which are still available at Crescent City Connection in my silver section .  I make a description of some of these marks and use many thematically similar pieces to give those descriptions.  I don't claim these are the best of the best pieces, just items I've been able to trade. For me, at my current stage of collecting, nothing could be worse on a piece of silver t

The Box Project

About ten years ago, on a weekend trip to Staunton, VA, I was browsing around in an antique shop called The Jolly Roger Haggle Shop.  On a bottom shelf, way in the back, I thought I spotted something.  It was a very old looking box and was in terrible condition.  The entire box seemed to be covered in pine sap or some other sticky, grimy substance.  Inside, the box was lined in blue silk and had an oval mirror in the lid.  I licked my thumb and rubbed it across the lid.  The lid was inlaid with small squares, and once I wiped away some grime, I immediately recognized that the inlay I had cleaned was tortoise shell.  Although it was in terrible condition, I wanted it.  No price, of course.  So, I took it up to the front counter and inquired.  "Where did you find that?"  The owner asked. "It was over there on the shelf gathering dust.  What do you want on it?"  I replied. The man said he would take $20.  I felt it was a good deal, so much to the chagrin of my g